Tuesday, March 13, 2012

End of an era - Encyclopedia Britannica

It's virtual reference day and it's one of the fun tasks I can do. When you're able to help someone, like walking a patron through the ebook download process and they have the light bulb moment, you feel like a hero.

Of course, you can also spend a lot of time with a patron and it can take a long time to find the information they want and naturally, you feel pretty disappointed when the person thinks you're a zero.


News Article of the Day: Encyclepedia Britannica to end print editions: http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/2012/03/13/encyclopaedia-britannica-end-print.html?cmp=rss

Wow, that is sad, but not surprising. As one of many families who purchased a set and for a while, received the annual yearbooks, this is definitely an end of an era. I loved having a set of the leather bound volumes on the bookshelf and reading the articles.

Some of them were way over my head, but others were very useful for elementary school projects...although during a recent clear out, I noticed that I wasn't the great student I thought I was...seems things picked up for me when I had access to more library materials!

So many people use Google and Wikipedia to find all that they need, sometimes you forget that when there is no power or internet access, you can still find almost everything you need through an encyclopedia. Thank goodness there's still World Book.

No comments:

Post a Comment